In the age of self-care and finding what works best for you, finding the best skincare treatment, beauty routine, and the best beauty products is a very serious affair. It can mean the difference between glowing, radiant skin or something less desirable (shudder, we don’t even want to think about it). With everyone out there trying to find the best moisturiser, best whitening serum, and the best beauty products in Singapore, we took the time to help make your search a little easier. Join us as we share more about what kind of skin types one can have, best tips for different skin types, how to build a skincare routine and what are the best skincare treatments out there.
What is your skin type?
Understanding your skin type and how it reacts to your surroundings is the basic step. Once you understand what works for you and what doesn’t, you can start choosing products which do not cause your skin to react badly. So, there are a few skin types – dry/sensitive skin, oily skin and normal skin. Skin can be affected by certain factors – genetics, environment, diet, and whatever you apply on your face, so always test before introducing a new product.
Dry and/or sensitive skin will feel taut on your face and may feel rough with slight flaking. One of the leading causes is the lack of hydration, especially when you’ve been in an air-conditioned room the whole day.
Combination skin can be pesky as certain areas will look great, while acne-prone hotspots like your forehead, nose, and chin break out. Often, portions of your skin, like the cheeks, are dry, while your nose and forehead are oily. It’s never easy to work with and one of the main factors can be the climate with changes from cold and dry to hot and humid.
Blessed with what many say is the easiest skin to manage, normal skin is a good balance of being not too dry or oily. With rare breakouts, these lucky individuals can test many skincare products to see what suits them best, as their skin doesn’t react as strongly to new products or environmental factors.
If you’re wondering how to build a skincare routine, you can approach a medical professional for an accurate analysis of your skin. If not, you can read up articles about the best dermatologist-recommended routine for dry skin or even how to care for combination skin.
Best skincare treatment available
When you think of the best skincare available, you think of brands like Clarins, Khiels, Aesop, Clinique, and La Mer as some of the best beauty brands in Singapore. When it comes to skincare treatments, the La Mer The Signature Facial at the Spa de La Mer, Harrods, London or even some of the best facials in Singapore, one can try if they have the time and money. However, for less well-heeled folk, all we can do is google “best dermatologist skin treatments for smoother, tighter skin” or “top dermatologist skincare routines”. Or else, we have to invest in the best whitening serum.
Best skincare treatment for you
When it comes to finding the best skincare treatment for you, sometimes, simple or basic steps make the biggest difference.
- Step 1: Use a gentle cleanser to remove debris and impurities collected during the day. In addition, you can also pair this with an exfoliating scrub to help reveal younger and smoother-looking skin.
- Step 2: Help your skin to rest and rejuvenate with a rejuvenation serum. Full of antioxidants and vitamins, your skin will feel youthful and thankful for the extra help in restoring fine lines and hiding those small wrinkles.
- Step 3: Moisturise, moisturise, moisturise. Some of the best moisturisers help your skin to lock its moisture throughout the night, keeping your skin hydrated to always give you that dewy, glowy look.
- Step 4 (optional): If you feel like your skin needs a good pick-me-up or reset, you can always pop on a mask for that extra boost. There are many masks out there with different purposes like a lifting and sculpting mask or a hydration mask to repair environmental and sun damage.
Taking care of your skin
Knowing what to put on your skin is always an ongoing journey. On the other hand, knowing how to protect your skin can help you go from doing skin damage-control to building your skincare routine.
Here are 5 tips for taking care of your skin:
- Don’t take baths that are too long. They strip your skin of its natural oils.
- Same for strong or harsh soaps, using too much too often can remove oil and moisture from your skin leaving it dry and prone to flaking.
- Test skincare products in small amounts for a few days to make sure there are no allergic reactions before implementing it in your skincare regimen.
- Get enough rest to ensure your skin has time to rest and repair itself.
- Apply sunscreen before leaving the house. In tropical climates with strong sun, always remember to protect your skin from sun damage.
Knowing what’s best
Knowing what’s best for your skin is always a work in progress. Certain products like collagen drinks with TruMarine™ Collagen work from the cellular level for any age and skin type. Do share with us your tips or hacks to knowing what is/was the best skincare treatment for you!
If you’re ever in doubt, seeking professional dermatological or medical advice from experts is still your safest route by ensuring that you know what your skin needs or doesn’t. Let us know through a message if this guide helped to clarify any doubts or if you have any questions about beauty products in general, we’d love to hear from you.